I do love stone fruit and when in season, peaches are my absolute favorite choice.
There's an abundance of peaches in stores and at farmer's markets right now which make them the perfect choice for your baking adventures but with this recipe you can substitute for any stoned fruit.
- 4 pounds ripe peaches
- 1 ¼ cups sugar (or more, as needed)
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 quart (4 cups) heavy cream
- 1 2-inch piece of vanilla bean (or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)
- 1/4 cup crystalized ginger (diced)
- Peel peaches over a large bowl to catch the juice. Halve and pit them and chop roughly. Place in the bowl and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of sugar, the salt and lemon juice and let them sit for 30 minutes.
- While peaches macerate, put cream and remaining sugar in saucepan with vanilla bean or vanilla. Heat over medium-low heat, stirring frequently to keep from scorching, until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool. Discard vanilla bean.
- Add the diced ginger and pour the cream over peaches and mix thoroughly. Taste to see if it needs more sugar. (This will depend on the peaches.) Refrigerate until chilled.
- Pour the mixture into an ice-cream machine and freeze according to the manufacturer's directions until set but not quite hard. (If serving immediately, freeze harder.) Pack the ice cream into a bowl or mold to completely solidify. When it has hardened, dip mold into hot water or wrap in a hot towel and invert onto a serving platter. Or, simply scoop and serve.
Want something a littler extra? We love adding a rum sauce caramel
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup cream
- 3 tablespoons rum