Bake with us live this Sunday as we make this tasty Giant Oreo for #nationaloreoeday!
Click this link to be taken to the show
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup of Hersheys dark cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 cup butter, room temp
- 2 large eggs
For the filling:
- 1/2 cup butter, room temp
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening (hard shortening like Crisco)
- 2 tsp. Vanilla bean paste
- 4 cups powdered sugar
You will also need
- 2, 8'' pans
- Cooking spray
- Stand mixer with paddle attachment
- Rubber spatula
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line two 8” round cake pans with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugars, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt and whisk until thoroughly combined. Add butter and mix with a hand mixer on low speed until the dough starts to come together in a mass. Add eggs and mix until thoroughly combined. The mixture should feel sandy.
- Press dough into prepared baking pans, then press a large fork around the edges of the cookie to make indentations similar to Oreos. Bake until cookies are slightly crackly on top, about 20 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes before inverting onto cooling racks to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make filling: In a large bowl, combine butter, vegetable shortening, and vanilla bean paste. Beat with a hand mixer until smooth and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, about 1 cup at a time, and mix until smooth.
- Gather filling into a large ball then, on a piece of parchment paper, pat it into a large disc approximately 8" in diameter.
- Transfer one of the cookie layers to a serving dish. (Save the prettier of the two for the top layer.) Place filling on top of cooled cookie then top with remaining cookie, indentation side-up. Slice into wedges and serve with milk.